Emergency Fundraiser for Kenya
As everyone is aware, COVID-19 has had significant impact around the world. Our team and the street youth in Kenya have also been greatly affected.
Working in the slums, we work with some of the most vulnerable populations in the world.
It is heard to shelter at home when you don’t have a home.
Our staff and volunteers in Kenya have put together a plan to help support their community and I will outline that below.
To make this plan happen, we are running an urgent fundraiser to raise $10,000 to help our scholars, their families, and the street youth in Nairobi, Kenya.
WHAT IS COVID-19 like in Kenya?
As COVID-19 has spread and made its way to Kenya, the impact has already been extreme. Our team and the street youth in Kenya have been greatly affected as schools, transportation and basically, everything has shut down.
Working in the slums, we work with some of the most vulnerable populations in the world. Many of us are staying home and working on keeping a distance from others… but it is hard to take shelter at home when you don’t have a home.
During this time we know we are still called to love, and love strongly, even with physical distancing being a very real practice.
How We Plan To Help
WHAT WILL THIS ACCOMPLISH?
For the Street Boys:
- Create 5 points where they can wash their hands; The points will be within the bases of the boys and where the boys can easily access them
- Provide antibacterial disinfectant hand wash and hand sanitizer
- Provide face masks for each of them
- Provide 2 points where they can wash their hands
- Provide watercan with tap to families without one
- Provide antibacterial disinfectant hand wash
- Provide face masks for about 30 members that we have been reaching out to
- Provide 5 face masks for each family
- Provide antibacterial disinfectant
- Provide hand 500ml hand sanitizer for each family
- Provide face masks for each family
- Provide antibacterial disinfectant
- Provide hand sanitizer for each family
- Provide safety gloves for when in the field
- Create a surplus for immanent inflation/price increases
- Create a “blessing fund” for particular hardships and needs that arise
Will you join us to raise $10,000 to help support our team in Kenya during this time?
Our Goal - $10,000
We would like to raise $10,000 to help support our team in Kenya during this time.
We thank you for your consideration and care and concern for our staff, volunteers, scholars, boys, and their families.
One Time Donations
In Kenya - MPesa
Give through MPesa
Step 1. Go to M-PESA Menu
Step 2. Select Lipa na M-PESA
Step 3. Select Paybill
Step 4. Enter Business no. (Equity Bank B/No. 247247)
Step 5. Enter Account no. (FIKISHA Acc/No. 0630 272 162 235)
Step 6. Enter Amount ….
Step 7. Enter PIN and Send
Checks can be made out to:
Boy With a Ball
Please include “Fikisha” or “Kenya” in the comment
Checks can be mailed to:
Boy With a Ball, PO BOX 748, Buford, GA 30515
Updates from Kenya
Experts estimate that there are 250,000 -300,000 children living and working on the streets, with more than 60,000 of them in Nairobi.
This is a group which is very difficult to observe social distance or the hygiene that’s required as they live in small groups.
What can we do as a nation to protect them?
Is is the time for churches to offer their empty spaces within their facilities for them to sleep in?
Since most schools are closed, is it the time for government to take them into isolation in either the boarding schools or government facilities?
Is it time for social workers to talk more about family reconnection?
Is it time for the community business owners to provide for them hand washing points and sanitizers?
What are we doing about them or what’s our politicians thinking about them?
Just remember that we are talking about 300,000 and 60,000 in Nairobi, precautions needs to be taken in advance to protect them.